Monday, February 7, 2011

Purpose of Families Left Home

I have been a military wife for almost 16 years. My husband joined the Utah National Guard right after we were married. He is now in Ft. Sill, OK where he is completing his training to become an officer. He attended SUU (Southern Utah University) ROTC program. They have a wonderful program up there. He has until April when he will come home and then head right up north for the unit's annual training. The month of May we will have him home just for a brief moment while he prepares to leave for Indiana in June. He will be deploying overseas for a year. So enough about my situation....
I have a wonderful FRG (Family Readiness Group) Leader. She is so amazing! She has organized and rallied a group of wives, mothers and soldier's significant others. She has created responsibilities and chairpersons over those responsibilities. The battery has a newsletter that is put out every month. They have lunch together every month. I am not able to attend because of the distance so that is one reason I am starting this blog. I would LOVE to get a group of us soldier significant others together and have lunch once a month. This would especially help us through the deployment. It is really nice to have family and friends around to help out but someone in the same situation makes it all so much easier. Kindof like your the top card in a playing card tower being supported by many.
The 2nd reason for starting this blog is information. I have found that just being on the email list of some of the military programs keeps me informed of tons of different things that are available to me. This is the 1st time I have ever felt like I am involved in the military career of my husband. I know its not much but it does make a difference. The United States Military has tons of resources that are available. I thought it would be nice to share those resources and hopefully find out a little bit more about them. I hope the things I find will help "families left home" out there that are feeling really alone while their soldier is gone.

2 comments:

  1. This is great! Thank you. I think it must be harder for families who spouses are in the guard and deploying because there is a lot of help on base that easy to find, but how do you find it when you don't live on base?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am really excited to be able to have a group, here in Southern Utah to help each of us as we send our sons and husband to active duty. Those left here to keep everything running smooth does need the help of others, maybe just being able to write somethings down will make us all feel better.
    Thank you so much for everyones time and effort in helping all of us cope with our loved ones being deployed.

    ReplyDelete